From the Editor,
We would like to start this month’s newsletter by congratulating our IFAD colleagues on the on-line launch of the Platform for Agricultural Risk Management (PARM). The Platform will enhance the sharing of knowledge in the domain agricultural risk management, keeping practitioners informed on the work done by their peers in different countries and disseminating news and updates on agricultural risk management-related activities and events. PARM is a partnership between the European Commission (EC), the French Development Agency (AFD), the Italian Development Cooperation (DGCS), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), NEPAD and other development partners.
In addition, we would like to highlight the new IFAD publication on improving agricultural risk management in sub-Saharan Africa: “Remote sensing for index insurance – findings and lessons so far”. The publication highlights project experiences in developing satellite information for index insurance. It documents contributions to filling the critical gap in country weather and yield data through remote sensing solutions, and current lessons in using these for index insurance to help smallholder farmers better manage yield losses.
Furthermore, FAO has just published a review of warehouse receipt legislation and related regulatory practices – “Designing warehouse receipt legislation: regulatory options and recent trends”. This publication provides guidance for countries seeking to develop or reform existing warehouse receipt legislation. It highlights the importance of core elements of a good enabling legislation, while suggesting flexibility to accommodate country specificities. A supportive legal framework is a common precondition for confidence in and acceptance of warehouse receipts for producers, credit providers and market participants.
Last but not least, the Boulder Institute in partnership with FAO and CABFIN will offer a highly specialized training program, the Rural and Agricultural Finance Program (RAFP), which will be held in Turin, Italy from July 20th to August 7th, 2015. The RAFP is offered only in English and is designed for experienced rural and agricultural finance practitioners and institutions. The program will feature faculty from leading institutions in rural and agricultural finance that will share their experiences through case studies, exercises, expert panels and presentations. To register, click here.
The RFILC editorial team
- Cracking the Nut 2016: Regenerating Rural and Agricultural Development
- Doing Digital Finance Right
- Cambodia Study Tour: How can MFIs and banks better serve agricultural clients?
- Remesas a América Latina y el Caribe superan su máximo valor histórico en 2014
- Gestión del riesgo crediticio para instituciones de microfinanzas
- Salon de l’innovation
- Foire aux investisseurs AMT
- Colloque Research Meets Africa
- Platform for Agricultural Risk Management (PARM)
- Empowering women: uncovering financial inclusion barriers
- Designing Warehouse Receipt Legislation: Regulatory options and recent trends
- Agricultural Finance Video Series
- Investment Contracts for Agriculture: maximizing gains and minimizing risks
- Financing Agriculture and Rural Areas in Sub-Saharan Africa Progress: challenges and the way forward
- Especialización de la operación del crédito en el campo
- Puntos de atención móviles CIDRE-Bolivia
- Gestión de información de riesgos agropecuarios y sistémicos (GirAs)
- Financiamiento de segundo piso- Cooperativa de ahorro y crédito ABACO – Perú
- Experto rural – COPEMEX y EQUIFAX Perú
- Développer les chaînes de valeur alimentaires durables – Principes directeurs
- Remote Sensing for Index Insurance: findings and lessons so far
- IFAD to redefine its role, investment
- Financing Serbian farmers before harvest
- Uruguay: Estudio dice que a los hogares pobres no llega la ley de inclusión financiera
- India interesada en experiencia peruana de inclusión financiera
- CBN, RUFIN To Promote Financial Inclusion In Rural Areas
- Le rôle du capital-investissement dans le développement de l’agriculture en Afrique