Implementation Best Practices for Value Chain Development Projects
A practitioners’ roundtable was held in Washington, D.C. in February 2012. The themes were presented in the forum of the following questions:
- What does it mean to be market-driven?
- How can projects be designed to respond to dynamic market systems?
- What does facilitation really mean during implementation?
- How can projects facilitate behavior change?
- How can facilitation approaches be taken to scale?
The intention of the practitioners’ roundtable was to further the process of reaching consensus on what constitutes best practice in the implementation of value chain development projects. The proposed best practices are:
- Interventions must be market driven
- Implementers need flexibility to be able to respond to dynamic markets and context
- Implementers should facilitate – rather than drive or replace – the actions of stakeholders
- Implementers should catalyze behavior change
- Facilitation mush be taken to scale